27 July 2010

+JMJ+

Just One Teaser This Tuesday, Thanks
(Inspired by a meme at Should Be Reading)


Tempt yourself with this week's set of teasers . . .

I'm really starting to like this meme. It's a kind of exercise, really, to find two consecutive lines in a text that can perfectly (and honestly) tease the reader with the rest of the book. (Yes, the teasers are supposed to promote future reviews, but since I hardly ever do book reviews, my teasers are more likely to promote the books alone.)

The last time I did a Teaser Tuesday, I drew a parallel between these two lines and a person's two legs. It must have been subconsciously inspired by the two legs on the cover of that week's read.

And now, when I see two (prominent) legs on a cover, I want to find two (perfect) legs in the text . . .



My God, I thought, I love talking with you.
But I stayed silent, because I never used the word "love" with a man.

There were others I considered but didn't choose, because they didn't match the title (which, in my mind, is a kind of third leg). A very, very close contender were two one-liners from a conversation the hero and heroine have in the middle of the story, for dialogue definitely has something to do with "smooth talking." Still, I settled on this one because the First Person point of view is my favourite part of Lisa Kleypas' Contemporary cross-overs.

Anyway, don't expect a review of this book (unless there is legitimate clamour for it). What I definitely have coming up are a Writing Diary post and a new volume for my Tutor Tales. Now, aren't those much better?

Image Source: Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

14 comments:

Kah Woei said...

Afraid of misunderstandings ? LOL.

Mine's from Devil May Cry.

Shelley Munro said...

I love this series. It's great.

My teaser

Aleksandra said...

Fun teaser :) Happy reading!!!

Beth F said...

I have read one Kleypas book -- but romance is not for me.

Lady Q said...

Nice teaser. I haven't read any of her contemporaries. I love Teaser Tuesdays. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on choosing teasers. I challenge myself to find lines that will make people want to learn more about the book while imparting some meaning from the book, too. (Although I usually post more than two lines :) This is my favorite meme. Here's my teaser from The Duke of Shadows.

Sullivan McPig said...

Kleypas keeps popping up on blogs everywhere. Is it a sign I should read a book by her?

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I like "reading" the narrator's thoughts. Insight and all...

Here's my TT:

http://rainysnowday.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/teaser-tuesdays-17/

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

@ Kah Woei: Well, afraid of something, definitely. =)

@ Shelley: It certainly makes me wish she would write a fourth book, although she originally planned only a trilogy.

@ Beth F: I agree it's not for everyone, but I still like it very much. =)

@ Lady Q: Thanks! I share your thoughts on teasers. It's a real challenge to find just the right excerpt, isn't it? =)

@ Sully: Well, if you're curious and like Romances, you should definitely give her a try. She seems to have the most mass appeal of all the authors writing today, so there's a good chance you'll find something to like. If you're interested, I can zip off an e-mail with some recommendations for you. =)

@ Laurel: Thanks for visiting!

thecrowdedleaf said...

Nice teaser. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

Sullivan McPig said...

Enbrethiliel:
It depends on if it's contemporary or not. I myself am not much of a romance reader, but my owner and Voodoo Bride enjoy romances from time to time, but they're not so fond of contemporary romance unless it's chick-lit
Thanks for the offer anyway! :-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Oh, Kleypas is best known for her Historicals. She started writing Contemporaries only very recently--and those three books are considered Chick Lit cross overs! ;-)

Sullivan McPig said...

In that case I think my owner and Voodoo Bride would want recommendations, they love historicals. :-)

carolsnotebook said...

Sounds like a careful woman.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'd say, too careful. =)

Thanks for stopping by!