13 June 2010

+JMJ+

Playing Poetry


W ampersand Q

It was interesting to get to see all the words and questions beforehand, and to try out the different combinations in private.

What I learned about words was that the more prosaic ones made the better poems.

What I learned about questions was that the ones with a life of their own--the ones which mean something extra in pop culture--make the best poetry prompts.

At least that sums up my scribbling. It's reasonable to think that other participating poets discovered other things.

And now I'm just stalling. So here we go with my poem . . .


Word -- Banana
Question -- Where are we going today?

A compass, a map -- a banana, a book.
Where can we picnic where no one will look?
A basket, a blanket -- a notebook, a pen.
Up to the treehouse for stories, and then?
A box full of cookies, a flask full of tea.
Your corner for you, my corner for me.

As you can see, I haven't broken out of the nineteenth-century-girls-book box yet. =P

I can't put up another linky this soon, so please leave the URLs to your poems in the combox. Thanks!

15 comments:

Cozy Book Nook (Lesa) said...

I fear poetry half the time-- it is like Greek to me. I love your poem though-- reminds me of a Children's Garden of Verses. Have you thought of writing a book of poems for kids?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Lesa! =D I think I'll reread some RLS tonight, now that you've mentioned his verses.

I haven't thought of writing my own book at all, though. (Maybe it's because my own little brothers don't read poetry, so it's off my radar.) Perhaps I'll try scribbling some more in private, to see what comes of it.

Belfry Bat said...

Here it is!

My Word: Millions (my word!)

The Question: what is the best way to cook an egg?

my poem. OK, so I only indirectly get at the question, but it's really self-evident that in such circumstances you don't offer anything less than the best.

It's a bit... syrupy? treacle?

I also wrote this haiku:
millions of eggs
boiled to gooey perfection
summer picnic dream


Hmm... I seem to have changed my mind about the best, but the theme is pretty much the same...

Paul Stilwell said...

Your poem is very good.

I've barely even thought about mine yet. Or maybe I have been.

Fun and Fearless said...

I like your poem. I hope I'll be able to post the URL of mine soon. ^_^

Salome Ellen said...

Done!
http://salomeellen.blogspot.com/2010/06/lets-play-poetry.html

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Bat: I don't think your poem is syrupy at all! I like to think the nod to cheese was Chestertonian--except that the poem is about the eggs rather than the Camembert. =)

Thanks for playing!

Paul: It will come to you . . . in the garden, perhaps . . .

F&F: Okay.

Ellen: Wow! I think your poem is wonderful! =D Thanks for joining "Word & Question".

Sullivan McPig said...

Very nice poem!
Mine is here:
http://mcpigpearls.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-attempt-at-poetry.html

It was both fun and hard work I must say.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Sully! I'll check it out right now . . .

Paul Stilwell said...

http://spikeisbest.blogspot.com/2010/06/word-question.html

It didn't come to me in the garden, sadly, as I've been in bad moods. So yeah, I just forced it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, mine was forced, too. I think of it as a "pressure cooked poem."

All right, I'll check yours out now.

Belfry Bat said...

they're coming along nicely, aren't they?!

Dear Enbrethiliel, what do you mean about Cheeseterton?

I also want to know where my word, "ephemera," got to!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Didn't Chesterton say that "poets have been strangely silent on the subject of cheese"? ;-)

There's only one poem that hasn't been shared, so you know which poet to pick on if you'd like to see "ephemera" used in a poem! =P

Fun and Fearless said...

OMG! I'm so sorry... T_T

Here it is.. Aaargh!!! I'm so late..

http://theseekergirl.blogspot.com/2010/06/game-of-rhymes.html

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It's about time!

Now, with everyone's poems accounted for, I guess we can start the next round! =)