21 May 2010

+JMJ+

LycanCath = Villain???


This week's topic:
Best Villains!


While I was putting the following Tenner together, I had a real moment. It suddenly occurred to me that some people in the Catholic Blogosphere must find me an awful villain--or if not a villain (which is an accomplishment one actually has to work at, which I'm too lazy to do), then a pathetic, unctuous villain wannabe. (You know, like Igor.)

It took all my self-control not to ask the person I was chatting with at that moment (Yes, the same moment! I'm a multitasker!): "Why in the world do you like me???"

I had only met him online; he was a reader of my old blog who had started writing me, and he was tolerant enough to follow me to this one. But would he like me if he knew me in real life???

Then I started musing that if I were someone else I wouldn't like me very much, and that the main reason I even do like myself is that if I didn't I'd be suicidal. A coping mechanism, you know.

Just as I was feeling really low, I recalled some significant facts . . . I had recently published an unpopular opinion on my old, supposed-to-be-defunct Catholic blog . . . which had attracted back my old troll . . . who helped to remind me that someone whom I had thought was one of my best blog friends was the one who misunderstood me the most . . . who in turn had reinforced my special Catholic blogger's neurosis (We They all have one!) that I didn't believe that anyone who liked my online self would care to know my real-world self.

Then it dawned on me anew that I don't have to be a member of the Catholic blogosphere, if I'd really rather not be!

And just like that, I was over my moment. I mean, of course ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE reading Shredded Cheddar would love to know me in real life . . . watch an 80s Horror movie together . . . form a book club for YA novels . . . sing along to TV Themes that I can play by ear on Christine . . . join Locus Focus tomorrow . . .

Because, this corner of the blogosphere isn't about following people's blogs
mainly so that one can find points of disagreement
and have an apologetics-flavoured debate in the comboxes.

And because, as you well know, I'm a likable villain. =P

A Tenner:
My Favourite Role Models Likable Villains


BOOKS

10. Alex (A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess)

So he's really into ultra-violence and rape . . . He's still smart enough to make the ultimate case that there is no moral difference between freely choosing what is evil and choosing what is good only because one has been forced.

9. Henry Crawford (Mansfield Park by Jane Austen)

So he's a vain playboy who feels entitled to the admiration of every beautiful woman he meets . . . He's still the only Austen Bad Boy anyone ever roots for.

8. Sunday (The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton)

So he was awful enough to be George Orwell's inspiration for Big Brother . . . He still manages to double as the best character in his own novel.


MOVIES

7. Ed Rooney (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

So he's a public school principal in a John Hughes movie (which is exactly like being a member of Opus Dei in a Dan Brown book) . . . He still has the dignity of being the antagonist to a hero who fits all the requirements for the archetypal devil. (Yes, really.)

6. Freddy Kreuger (A Nightmare on Elm Street--starring Robert Englund)

So he's a child murderer with a sicker sense of humour than Alex's and a never-ending revenge spree . . . He's still the only Horror villain in the world people would rather run to than run from.

5. Sharpay Evans (High School Musical)

So she's a spoiled stage princess who lies a lot so she can have her selfish way in the spotlight . . . She's still the one everyone hopes the hot leading man will dump his wholesome, sweet, simpering girlfriend for.

TELEVISION

4. Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

So he first tried to kill and then tried to rape one of the most beloved TV heroines of the 1990s . . . He was still so bad ass that the show's writers admitted they put that in to make him less popular with viewers, and then he went on to redeem himself without needing to get his soul back, anyway--unlike one pussy vampire I could mention. (No, Peppy, not Edward Cullen.)

3. Sue Sylvester (Glee)

So she's the sort of ego-crushing teacher so horrible that John Hughes could never have dreamed her up . . . She's somehow still better at bringing out the best in students with her stabbing straight talk than all the other teachers in the school.

2. Theodore "T-Bag" Bagwell (Prison Break)

So he's human scum who knows it and doesn't care . . . He still manages the feat of simultaneously winning viewers over completely and convincing them that he deserves exactly the justice he finally gets.

The Cheese That Stands Alone:
INTERNET


1. Vote for the Worst

So they power vote their butts off to keep "unworthy" contestants in a talent competition while better singers are eliminated . . . They're still the main voice of reason that reminds us that just because celebrity authorities tell us that the emperor has just sung in tune, that doesn't mean that he did.

Image Sources: a) A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, b) Ferris Bueller's Day Off poster, c) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 7 DVD

23 comments:

Belfry Bat said...

It occurs to me that Alisdaire Crowly, or L.Ron Hubbard should be on an extended list of villains (not the deceased historical L.Ron.Hubbard, --- may God have mercy on his soul --- just the one who keeps getting published in scientology magazines).

But maybe they aren't *likable*.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Now you remind me of Crowley of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens! (Why do I always remember the juiciest ones right after I finish making my lists???)

Sullivan McPig said...

I'd love to watch 80's horror movies with you!
I can understand where you're coming from though. I've been part of online communities that suddenly turned ugly when you had a different opinion and I can tell you those were the moments I ran!

Christina T said...

Great list of villains! I was actually thinking of Sue Sylvester too. She is one of those complex villains with a very tiny good side that occasionally shows up and then bam! she goes back to being evil.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

Those are all great villains!

Heather said...

ooo, if I had done mixed media I would be jealous that you thought to include T-Bag from Prisonbreak. God, he was creepy!

Jillian said...

Oh I loooveeedd Sharpay. Is that how you spell her name? Always confuse her with the dog, Shar-pei. LOL.
Great list, nice #1.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Sully: Thanks, Sully! I've been part of other small online communities through the years, and they all have a "Let's all pretend we agree with each other and get along" culture. Now, I do understand that, because groups need cohesion; but after a point--usually an opinion I just won't give up--it's really not for me.

Christina: I'm glad you like it! Sue is so lovable, for some reason. Her tender care for her sister does give her a softer side, and I think that's why so many people truly like her instead of just being entertained by her.

Buckeye Girl: Thanks a lot!

Heather: Well, there are times when I look at other people's lists and feel like kicking myself because they had entries I loved but just didn't remember in time--so I know what you mean. I'm so glad I remembered T-Bag. Part of his creepiness is his very real charm; and we do like him a lot because he sometimes does try to change for the better.

Jillian: Yes, that's how it's spelled. I totally remember the first time I heard it because I also thought, "Her mother named her after a dog???" LOL! At least her brother had a normal name, right?

Dauvit Balfour said...

"This is the time of night when the moonlight shines down and we can reveal who we truly are..." - She Wants Revenge

Of course, that lyric is not about being a Lycan (it's much more perverse), but when I heard it I thought of this post.

I was trying to think of a favorite villain to add to the list, but I'm having trouble coming up with one that I think would fit your criteria (not that I'm really sure what those are).

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

LOL! Dauvit, I don't think it would be safe for me to determine the formal criteria after the list has been posted, but I was going by two points:

a) the character has to be presented as an antagonist, if not strictly a villain; and

b) the character has to be likable enough to have his own fans.

Well, okay, Ed Rooney doesn't quite meet the second criterion--and Principal Vernon of The Breakfast Club is arguably the more popular of the two--but then again, he's up against the sainted Ferris. Even Ferris' sister seems uptight and awful until the moment she does a complete 180 and saves his butt. Principal Rooney may be kind of pathetic, but he's also, in the end, the only one who sees that Ferris is as self-centred as he is charming.

And if you read the other lists linked up at Jillian's blog, you'll see that you don't really have to go by my criteria. =)

paul bowman said...

When I hear 'likeable villain' I can't help thinking first of silly Disney flick Pete's Dragon's Dr. Terminus & Hoagy.

I like you. — Can't seem to help that either — ha. Of course, I'm not of the Catholic blogosphere, and really I find it too difficult to translate your quirks into villainy to give much effort to the exercise.

: )

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

If you can think of eight more and make your own list before Tuesday, there will be time to join Jillian's link up. =)

Although I joke about it here, I don't really know about being personally liked. Just the other day, someone who used to like me told me to get drunk and get laid, which I took to mean (though I could be wrong) that he no longer liked me. Both the positive and the negative personal reactions are just two sides of the same coin. What is good about the book blogosphere, where I've staked out a small corner, is that the readers can separate the posts from the person.

ninjapeps said...

of course it's not Edward Cullen. he doesn't have a soul.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

ROFLMAO!!! That just might be the funniest thing I read all week! XD

Michael said...

And just like that, I was over my moment. I mean, of course ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE reading Shredded Cheddar would love to know me in real life

Yup...hehe

. . . watch an 80s Horror movie together

Yup.

. . . form a book club for YA novels

Hmmmmmm.....

. . . sing along to TV Themes that I can play by ear on Christine

How in the world can you dislike someone who likes the theme from....Batman!

. . . join Locus Focus tomorrow . . .

You are pushing your luck there E :P

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Three out of five is still a win! (Right?) =)

paul bowman said...

I expect there are a lot of people who would tell someone like you to get drunk & get laid not because they didn't like you but because they did. I've known a few; not always bad people to know as friends. Anyway, though, I'm not one of them. Holiness before happiness, I'm going to tell you — & hope you love (not like) me enough to tell me the same, as often as may seem necessary.

[my captcha: deflate]

Michael said...

Three out of five is still a win! (Right?) =)

3.5 really, maybe 4 except I so rarely read novels these days. Still, I'm a voracious reader and I write as well, so broadly speaking you scored on all five points.

Truth is E you got the win at #1.

:-)

Michael said...

I expect there are a lot of people who would tell someone like you to get drunk & get laid not because they didn't like you but because they did. I've known a few; not always bad people to know as friends.

During the time in my life when on a scale of 1(best) to 100(worst), holiness ranked at 200, I gave that advice on a few occasions to people who I liked and thought of as friends.

Though I still might counsel someone to go out and get, in the words of Solomon, "a merry heart" don't imagine I would ever counsel someone to get laid. That would be an interesting confession to my priest.

Of course I have no idea of the relational history and dynamic between E and Warren, and frankly its none of my business, so I'm just making a very general comment.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

It was clearly a bad idea to drag that business into this thread, so Itake full responsibility. But let's not forget that the real point is TOP TEN VILLAINS! If you have more to say about the former than about the latter, then keep it to yourself, please.

As much as I appreciate my old readers' partisanship, the main reason I retired from active Catholic blogging was so that I wouldn't have to be reminded of it. Don't make me lock this thread!

Michael said...

3.5 really, maybe 4 except I so rarely read novels these days.

That should be YA novels, though might re-read a few based on your work here at Shredded Cheddar.

Birdie said...

This is made of win LOL
I'm so with you on Alex and Ed Rooney in particular!
I should do a movie villains post, but I'm just afraid it'd be 80% Rickman--Hans Gruber and Judge Turpin anyone?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Or you could make a "Top Alan Rickman Villains" list! ;-) He played the Sheriff of Nottingham once, too, didn't he? I remember reading one review of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves that said that Rickman was the only actor in the production who seemed to understand that although Kevin Costner was going for epic, the movie would really turn out a parody. LOL! But seriously, wasn't he the best thing about the film???