It was about time I did one of these things, aye? ;)
When I first joined the Book Blogging community as the red headed stepchild who was the understudy for Asia Viera in Omen IV: The Awakening, I didn't think I'd ever host a contest. Or a giveaway. Whichever one this is--though as far as I can tell, the terms are used interchangeably. Ah, now I've lost my train of thought . . .
I never thought I'd host a contest/giveaway because I am in no position to offer my readers new releases, much less those brass rings of the Book Blogging community, Advance Review Copies. And being one of those "international" bloggers who is ineligible for 99% of the contests/giveaways out there, book-related merchandise like pretty bookmarks or slipcovers would cost me ten times as much to send as to buy or
Recently, however, it occurred to me that there is one thing I can offer that would make some sense as a prize: a book that has been published only in the Philippines! We have quite a lot of literature written in or translated into English, and some of it is even pretty good. (LOL!)
And then the only challenge is actually getting people interested. =P
1. I am giving away one book to one reader of Shredded Cheddar. As much as I wish I could send a really worthy haul to the winner or have several winners, the Philippine Post Office is run by the world's worst government employees bar none, which means I will be using FedEx to make sure the winner gets his prize, and that won't come cheap!
2. This contest is international!!! =D In fact, you get extra points if you're not from the US or Canada! ;)
Yes, you may even join if you already live in the Philippines! I mean, why not???
3. Contest begins 1 June 2010 and ends 30 June 2010! I will announce the winner on 4 July 2010.
4. All throughout the month of June, I will be writing reviews of the books the winner can choose for his prize. They will be a mix of different genres, maybe even some non-fiction, so that there is something for everyone.
(I will update this post with links as the reviews go up.)Option 1: Smaller and Smaller Circles by F.H. Batacan
Option 2: Owl Friends by Carla M. Pacis
Option 3: The Manila We Knew edited by Erlinda Enriquez Panlilio
Option 4: Po-on by F. Sionil Jose
Option 5: Barefoot in Fire: A World War II Childhood by Barbara-Ann Gamboa Lewis
Option 6: The Woman Who Had Two Navels by Nick Joaquin
5. Although I own a copy of every book on offer, I will buy the winner a brand new copy of the book of his choice!
6. For your first official entry, leave a comment after this post saying you'd like to be counted!
7. If you want extra entries, refer to the points system below:If you're in a part of the world that isn't the US or Canada: 2 extra points
If you're one of the top commenters on 30 June 2010: Up to 10 extra points, depending on your ranking
If you participate in Locus Focus any time during the month of June: 1 extra point per linked up post
If you join "Word and Question": 3 extra points
8. I'm sure some of you are thinking, "I don't read this blog for free books. I read it because I'm a member of Enbrethiliel's Punk Catholic personality cult from way back when." Well, look at it this way, someone is going to get a free book out of this, anyway. Why not you???
I hope that's clear! If there are any questions, just leave them in the combox along with your entry. =)