06 April 2010

+JMJ+

These Dreams: Bloggably Blond

Q: What do the following light-haired characters have in common?

Photobucket

KyleReese2 Terminator

Nikki BigLove

A: (Use your secret decoder ring!) I have been all of them in my dreams.



In waking life, one of my employers once said to me--very affectionately:

"Enbrethiliel, I'm going to get you a big bottle of peroxide for Christmas, so that your hair can match the rest of you."

I didn't dare tell him that I'm usually blond in my own dreams.

Anyway . . . It's normally easy for me to figure out who I am in a dream: I either know it from the beginning or figure it out after I wake up. It was a little tougher a few nights ago (right before the dawn of Black Saturday, of all times), when it seemed that nearly everyone in my latest dream had light hair.

For context: the dream was about a group of children who were in danger and the two adults helping to protect them; something the whole party had to do was break into amusement parks at night and try the more hair-raising rides in complete darkness. (Hey, if you don't like it, make your own dreams!)

At first I thought I was Sara from Race to Witch Mountain, because the whole dream could have been based on the movie . . .

RaceWitchMountain promo

. . . but that would have been too Mary Sue, even for me.

Besides, after the Sara-character got in the gondola of a ride that was strangely like Knotts Berry Farm's Hammerhead (my favourite park ride ever), the point of view shifted from hers to that of one of her adult protectors . . . upon which he morphed from dark-haired Jack Bruno (see above) into light-haired Dr. Gerald Plecki (see below).


(I don't want to overuse the "favourite _____ ever" or "favourite _____ of all time" lines so early in this post, so I won't say either about this HBO Original Movie, based on the "Steinmetz Cheating Scandal.")

It makes sense that I'd be a blond teacher, right? Yeah, but . . . while the Plecki-character, who wasn't also in the gondola, was on lookout, two cloaked and hooded figures leading snarling dogs approached him from both ends of the loading platform. There was no place to go but up . . . and that was when it became clear why the Hammerhead-esque ride had a frame like one of those wooden rollercoasters with a zillion crisscrossing beams: it was for climbing!

Well, the Plecki-character managed to lose the two pursuers in the virtual labyrinth of beams, and when the villains met each other at the top and pulled their hoods off, registering disbelief that he had actually got away . . . they were the conniving sisters Terri and Kendra from Glee!

JessalynGilsig JenniferArcher

(By the way, you'd better not leave a comment if you're just going to mock me.)

And then the perspective shifted again . . . and I think I even got my black hair back! I became one of the two adults looking out for the children . . . and the amusement park turned into my alma mater (where I spent thirteen years as a student and two more years as a teacher). Someone from one of the offices in the grade school building had given me a bag of dark clothes, which I immediately changed into, even though it didn't matter by that time because the sun had already risen.

On our way out of the campus, I made sure the Sara-character, out of all the children, was close by me.

End of dream.

(Admit it: you love it when I blog this stuff.)

And, yes, I eventually figured out which blond character I was . . .

Image Sources: a) Buffy Summers, b)Kyle Reese, c) Nikki Hendrickson, d) Race to Witch Mountain promotional image, e) Jennifer Aspen and Jessalyn Gilsig

12 comments:

Paul Stilwell said...

"...and I think I even got my black hair back!"

Thank goodness. Shifting perspective dreams are whacked, completely whacked. I find jump-like-the-Incredible-Hulk dreams are far more easy-going. They go on long, but they don't linger too long after you wake up.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You know, I don't think I ever had one of those. They sound absolutely exciting, though.

(So does this mean you've been the Hulk?)

Cozy Book Nook said...

I read recently that people who dream vividly are more likely to have schizophrenia. I don't have it so far-- (shhh! I'm typing... drat those voices!) but I do have very vivid dreams. I would be disappointed if I stopped having them-- My favorites are the action movie type dreams-- of course, I am the star!

Love the changes you've made to your layout! It is new, right? Hope so or I'm not too observant. Anyway, the header is great-- I keep spotting clever little bits of you in it. The text is easier for me to read also. Thanks for including Mrs. BG in your blogroll!

Lesa

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I would also be hugely disappointed if I stopped dreaming at this weird and vivid level. LOL!

Thanks for your kind words about my header. =) Now cue the grateful plug from a satisfied customer . . .

I gave Parajunkee a list of the things I blog about the most (I still can't believe I forgot "TV"!) and asked her to have a little tribute to each one on the shelves. =) I think she did a great job fitting all those disparate elements into one place!

And please let me know if my blog ever becomes difficult to read again! I may go a little nuts with colours and fonts, but if a reader has real trouble with something, I totally adjust! =)

Suburbanbanshee said...

Well, I'm sure I have exciting and vivid dreams, but usually I just sleep right through them. :)

Seriously, though, I always find these sorts of accounts interesting, since I have so few of my own memories of dreams to work from.

I did dream once that I was in some kind of Airwolf scene with Archangel, and I dreamed that I was attending the premiere of a much cooler version of Star Trek V before it came out, but that's about it for celebrity dreams for me. (As far as I know about.)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

One trick to "seeding" vivid and memorable dreams is to set your alarm about half an hour before you need to wake up. After it rings, set it for the actual time and then to go back to sleep as quickly as possible.

I also like analysing my dreams because I'm someone who talks to herself a lot. My dreams are just another message--in symbolic code--sent while I am asleep.

On the other hand, I have a friend who puts less stock in dreams than he does in cloud patterns outside his window.

Paul Stilwell said...

Oh Lord no, I've never been the Hulk in my dreams, but simply being able to leap like him. And they are indeed so vivid that I am actually viscerally disappointed when I wake up.

I have been the Hulk in real life though.

He's really just a kind of lycanthrope.

And there is indeed more to be gleaned in cloud patterns than what at first meets the eye. Not subjective projections either. One time I was gobsmacked by what I saw while driving down a highway. Serious, it was something to behold.

Paul Stilwell said...

Oh yeah, totally agree about dreams happening in the second sleep. Look at alarm: 6:30. Close eyes. Dream an epic that spans Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. Wake up, look at alarm: 6:32.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Yes, he is a kind of lycanthrope, isn't he? He may transform when he gets too angry, but the emotions are mythically linked to the moon, anyway, so it makes psychological sense!

Oh, a word of warning: "second sleep" dreams are great, but "third sleep" dreams mean that the conscious mind has become too involved. That's when they become really weird. =P

But have you ever noticed, Paul, that when you wake up from a dream and are still a little sleepy, your can think of anything and watch it transform into some sort of dream imagery?

Paul Stilwell said...

I *have* noticed that, now that you mention it! Talk about mediating between two worlds, or something like it.

And about those third sleep dreams, I'll heed your warning. :) I think it may have happened to me once or twice, though I can't remember. But I can definitely see that being...yep.

The mind is, well, mind-boggling.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

There's a line from the movie Hook which I never understood until I started thinking seriously about dreams.

Tinkerbell says to Peter Banning, who is no longer Peter Pan: "You know that place between sleep and awake? That place where you still remember dreaming? . . . That's where I'll always love you."

(I'm making no sense now, am I?)

Paul Stilwell said...

No, maybe perfect sense. It starts to hone in on the question of what IS reality, or the ultimate reality? And the same tension/equilibrium 'Ode to a Nightingale' ends on, now that I think about it.

Funny, I was recently thinking about Hook - well, not thinking about it per se, but it popped into my head while working. Ru-fee-o!