06 April 2010

+JMJ+

Tasty Tuesday: A Meme Is Born!
(A weekly meme hosted at Dearest Dreams)


The first thing that came to mind when I heard about this meme was an unusual interview question from Nick Mag, the Nickelodeon channel's magazine. (I don't know if it's still in circulation, but it was when I was still watching Nick.)

Every interviewee would be asked (and I paraphrase heavily!):

"If a sandwich were named after you, what would be in it?"

In other words, I've been thinking about people in terms of sandwich fillings, breads and sides for about ten years.

I tried to get my students to do a variation of it when we were taking up the Twelve Olympians. How would a Zeus cookie be different from a Hades cookie? Ideas like that. Exactly one group took the culinary challenge . . . and let's just say they weren't very creative about it. (I mean, Hestia cookies? That's like Poseidon bottled water or Athena olive oil . . .)

But never mind my gone-but-not-forgotten girls. Let's do this meme!

A Secret Garden Sandwich



Honey-cured ham

This represents Dickon, because he is simple and homey, like this cold cut, with some honey for a touch of magic!

Sweet pickles

These represent Mary, because she is both sweet and sour!

Mascarpone cheese

This represents Colin, because it is made from rich cream, so it seems that it would be heavy, but is actually very light!

Staff of Life bread

This is to hold everything together--because The Secret Garden is about the affirmation of life, both human life and that of the natural world! Besides, who says you can't make two Tasty Tuesday recipes at once? ;-)

Now for full disclosure . . . I haven't actually tried this sandwich. (LOL!!!)

I have tried similar ones, like ham, cream cheese, pickles and white bread--or ham, mascarpone cheese and white bread (but no pickles)--or ham, pickles, mayonnaise, and wheat bread--but not this particular combination.

Not yet, at least. =P

Image Source: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

6 comments:

Christy said...

I love it! Each character is an individual taste and together they blend into an experience that would be lacking without all of them. I think this would be a great excercise in character development for my own works in progress.
What a great idea to use the original Tasty Tuesday recipe in your post!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Christy! I like your thematic approach, too. =)

Cozy Book Nook said...

What a cool meme and I love your sandwich! I am a foodie and will do this meme sometime when I don't have so much on my plate. Hey, I made a punny! ;)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks, Lesa! I can't wait to read your recipe one of these Tuesdays.

(Make as many puns as you like. I love them!)

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Fun! Do you follow the Secret Adventures of Writer Girl? She has been doing book related recipes lately and they are SO awesome!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Hi, Juju! =) Thanks for the recommendation. I'll go check her blog out.

And thanks for visiting and leaving a comment!