12 April 2010

+JMJ+

Christine's Chords: Imagine Me (Jerrica's Song) by Jem and the Holograms

For some strange reason (which in itself isn't really strange), I thought of this song today and wanted to try playing it by ear . . .




Later, after more time than I'd like to admit, I came up with a rough arrangement of chords that managed to sound okay. Note that they're not in the same key as the original "single"!


Imagine Me (Jerrica's Song)

[D]Imagine me [Bm]free from care,
[G]Light as a feather, [Bm]floating on air.
[Em]Imagine me.
[G]Can't you see how [A]lovely it would be?

[D]Imagine me [Bm]breezing through,
[G]Never a worry, [Bm]nothing to do.
[Em]Imagine me,
[G]What a lovely [A]fantasy.

Everything's [Bm]going my way [Em].
[A]Everything's [Bm]rolling along [Em].
[A]No [G]pain, no [A]strain;
I [Em]can't com[Bm]plain.
[G]Life is a happy [A]song.

[D]Imagine me [Bm]coasting by,
[G]Solving my problems, [Bm]easy as pie.
[Em]Life is simple as [G]ABC.
[A]Baby, just imagine me.

[D]Imagine me [G]
[D]Imagine me . . .

It has always been a small frustration of mine that these songs that I grew up with--atrocious examples of 80s Pop though they may be--don't have their chords floating around in the creative commons.

So I guess I'm doing my part to fix that.

There is also much to say about Imagine Me and its ironic status as "Jerrica's Song", but I think I'll spare you my analysis today. =)

6 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Oh how I miss Jem!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I know what you mean! =D The show should have had more seasons . . .

twowaysofrenouncingthedevil said...

Yii, you girl, you.
Now my kid is crying because you tricked me into putting three-year-old-girl crack on my screen and she neeeeeeeeeeeds it to play again. And again.
Shame on you.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

*hides her face in true shame*

But now that I've put up the chords, you can get a guitar and play it for her yourself! =P Got a pink wig in your mommy arsenal, by any chance?

Suburbanbanshee said...

I never could get into Jem (not my kind of show in any way), but I can see from this clip why people liked it.

It's a nice songwriting trick, too -- a full three verses and a bridge in a minute and 15 seconds! Most kids' shows with this short of song interlude stick to two verses and a chorus, or even smaller chunks of song.

Re: three year old girl crack, I recommend the Star Hill Ponies! It's the most excellent stop motion show ever! And educational!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utVNjUzlXFA

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Yeah, I think the bridge really makes a difference!

And I'll let Marie know about that new crack she can feed her three-year-old daughter. =P

(Reposted after four years because that's how long it took me to realise I was signed into someone else's account when I first wrote it!)