21 March 2010

+JMJ+

Writing Diary, Entry #16

Well, it looks as if I have another invaluable writing tip for everyone--though since it is one of those things I was the last to learn, I'm really just writing this for myself. (As usual . . .)

Invest in a good digital camera.

It only hit me last week, right before I left for my first press junket, that I ought to have one. I hadn't really required one before; but then, I hadn't really been given a "field assignment" before. Not since I had to interview some members of the Philippine Wiccan Society back in September 2008 (See my article The World of Wicca: False Impressions and First Impressions), did paid writing involve any walking--and even then, I just walked to meet them at a cafe of their choice.

This time around, I had to join the media launch for the new HBO mini-series The Pacific. The location: the historic island of Corregidor!

Indeed, I was barely on the boat when my lack of a camera really started to gnaw at me. And all throughout the tour, I found myself aching for a chance to capture everything I was seeing, learning, and yes, feeling--to "bottle" it, as the saying goes, all the better to take it home and share it. Indeed, the whole experience was so sublime that it deserves its own post.

Since this is a "Writing Diary" entry, let me just focus on the fact that the experience deserves its own article.

After I got home, I e-mailed my editor to discuss that article a bit more: When was my deadline? Could I please have more than 500 words this time? Should the article be about The Pacific itself or about the media launch?

The reply was both heartwarming and frustrating. It turned out that the magazine which sent me already had a promotional article on The Pacific. They had let me go on the junket only because nobody in the office could make it, they didn't want the free slot to go to waste, and I've been such a lovely contributor that they thought I deserved a free holiday!

And the more one gets, the more one wants. For I think I should get a byline, too--if not for my own sake, then for Corregidor's. I've sent another message to ask whether it's all right with them for me to write about the experience anyway, and offer the article to another publication. I'm still waiting to hear back.

Oh, one more note--a funny thing about press junkets . . . Nobody remembers anyone's name. Everyone remembers everyone's publication. I ate lunch with an editor from Gadgets, walked around with an editor from Meg, got lost in a virtual bat cave with a writer from FHM, and bummed a ride to the metro with the founder of Metakritko.

8 comments:

Jillian said...

Do it! :) One of the most annoying things is when you go on a trip or an occasion of some sort, and you can't even have any records of that particular event. A digital camera, imo, is a great investment -- so worth it, especially if you're going to be using it all the time.

p.s. I think Canon & Nikon are the best camera brands, but that's just me.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks for the recommendation! =) My first consideration is, as always, the price, but I'd like to get the best value for what I do lay down.

ninjapeps said...

if you consider an SLR, I'd recommend Canon since you can just borrow my lenses and save cash. :p

for point and shoots, the top models to choose from are Canon's S90 and Panasonic's Lumix LX3. both are good but I opted for the LX3 because there's more that can be done with it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I don't think I have the budget for something that has big detachable parts, but thanks for the offer. I'm still poking around. I just might make a really hurried purchase the day before my next big assignment!

ninjapeps said...

just be sure not to buy from malls. stuff there is at least P5k more expensive than in Quiapo.

Jillian said...

What is your limit, price-wise? I personally think you can get a really good digital camera for $200 and under. Also, what will you mostly use this camera for? Answering both might be able to narrow down your choices! :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Everyone is being so helpful that I might guilt myself into getting that camera sooner rather than later! =P

(Seriously, these tips will come in handy, so I'm glad you're all sharing what you know.)

On price: I'm hoping not to go over P20,000.

On purpose: I'm pretty much a "point and shoot" sort of person. I don't need anything too fancy.

ninjapeps said...

under P20k is doable. only the most high end of point and shoots go over that.