18 March 2010

+JMJ+

Twelve Things about the 82nd Annual Academy Awards' "Tribute to Horror"

It's not the best clip in the world, but it's the only one that has consistently survived the copyright purges . . .

Before our "Twelve Things," let's have a bit of an introduction--because this clip has a bit of an introduction. The parody of Paranormal Activity was just great! But . . . Taylor Lautner and Kristin Stewart as presenters???
Although the most popular genre of film is Horror and although it gave a start to the careers of a lot of people in this room, somehow, it doesn't seem to command the respect it deserves . . .
I agree completely! And I note the irony here. =P (By the way, don't worry: We don't see Edward! Hahahahaha! We do see Zac Efron as another presenter later. The tween demographic must buy a lot of movie tickets and DVDs these days.)

12. Does anyone else thing it was wrong to open--and close--with Jaws? (Pun subconsciously intended!) Anyone other than Penny, that is? 

11. Lots of Stephen King here! Which makes some sense. When King adaptations are good, they're very good! Take The Shining! I watched it with my mother when I was eleven years old . . . and to this day, I still can't go in the bathroom alone when I'm scared. (Yes, I ask someone to come with me. My sister used to put down the lid of the toilet and sit on it so she could keep me company while I showered.) Still . . . I thought there was unbalanced and inordinate love for Stanley Kubrick in this montage. Then there's Misery. The split-second I saw Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes, I asked myself, "They aren't really going to show what she can do with that sledgehammer, are they? . . . Oh." And for the thousandth time in my life, I feel bad that I still haven't seen Carrie. (Dude! What does it do to my Horror blogger credentials to admit that?)

10. Classic Horror still stands up, after all this time. Wow! Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster (with or without his Bride) . . . I should have a movie marathon of Universal classics, one of these days. On the other hand, campy Horror doesn't stand up so well. =( I was embarrassed to see Beetlejuice there. 

9. I'm not sure how I feel about some of the segments. The spooky settings were lovely, reminding us that Horror is often like real estate. (Location! Location! Location!) Yet while it was cool to have a virtual slideshow of famous villains (masked or otherwise) and "soundtrack" of scream queens . . . I have the feeling that whoever spliced them all together wasn't a Horror fan. Not really. Not if the only children he could come up with were from The Shining and The Sixth Sense. (Carol Anne of Poltergeist doesn't count because she doesn't appear with the other kids.) 

8. So I'm not sure what's more embarrassing: those who didn't make it or those who did. I mean, Johnny Depp as Glen from A Nightmare on Elm Street? Okay, it was thanks to this movie that I finally understood why some women go for Depp (because he looked so much like John Taylor back then) . . . but his character was a cross between eye candy and killer fodder who couldn't even stay awake when it counted. Then there's George Clooney, whose appeal I've never understood (and hopefully never will). All right, so he was in From Dusk Till Dawn with Quentin Tarantino, and they were both nominated that night. Couldn't we at least have seen the clip in which Clooney's character makes Tarantino's newly-sired and bloodthirsty character go splat

7. Indeed, so much of this clip was ego-stroking--as only the Academy Awards can do it. Lautner mentioned actors who got their breaks in Horror movies, and we see, basking in the glory that is the Horror genre: the younger versions of Steve Martin, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Steve McQueen, K-Stew and Lautner themselves, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Aniston, and Winona Ryder. Never mind that those launchpad movies probably weren't very memorable. (That clip of Aniston was taken from Leprechaun, right?) The stars are big now and that is what counts. (Sigh!) At least Interview with the Vampire was decent--but let's all note that the movie which gave Brad Pitt his big break was the late 80s Slasher Cutting Class

6. Now let's look at some great examples of Horror which were not included--presumably because the actors in them never became A-listers: An American Werewolf in London, The Craft, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Passion of the Christ . . . 

5. And I'm personally insulted that we see Samara instead of Sadako. But I guess Japanese filmmakers aren't part of the Academy. 

4. Some scary non-human creatures would have been great. Find a way to get Jaws, Alien, Congo, and Jurassic Park together . . . and then segue into werewolves! =D Yeah!!! (The Blob may get its own special category, as it does here. It has always been and ever shall be unique.) 

3. Have I mentioned the distressing paucity of zombies? Where's the love for Dawn of the Dead--or for that matter, Sean of the Dead??? 

2. The last words? This is the moment when the supposedly dead killer comes back to life. Nice one! I always like it when they bother to tell a story. 

1. Well! This feels like the most half-assed montage I've ever seen! Then again, let me be fair. Three minutes isn't enough to do justice to the complex history of Horror films. Now I dare a clever Horror fan with an extensive DVD collection to prove me wrong!!! (You know where this is leading, right?)

4 comments:

ninjapeps said...

I need to see Carrie, too. you know, there's an adaptation of that where Carrie survives?

whoever made that horror movie montage deserves to be flogged for including Twilight. the only thing scary about that series is that so many people loved it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

The whole Twilight connection is odd. It would have been a bit awkward not to have included Twilight after asking Lautner and Stewart to be presenters, so the one who really deserves to be flogged is the director who wanted them to do this in the first place.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

PS--If we're doing another Halloween all-nighter this year, we should have Carrie. I know the book made a very big impression on Jayca, so it should make for some interesting discussion.

ninjapeps said...

I'm game for that. I'll see if I can find any other Halloween appropriate movies next week.