04 March 2010

+JMJ+

Shelf Share Thursday
(A new meme hosted at Bippity Boppity Book)


Some memes are more fun than others. This one takes the usual "What's on your To Be Read pile?" question and gives it an alphabetic accent. You know that I love alphabetic accents.

(Hmmmmm. This reminds me . . . the next Alphabet Assignment is overdue, isn't it? Okay, okay . . . Let me just do this new meme first. I can make my own happy lists any time, but it's rare that I find myself perfectly able--and perfectly eager--to do someone else's happy list.)

3 "A" BOOKS
I've Bought for Future Reading



Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Jane Gray

You have no idea how much I wish I could finally read this book.

About three years ago, I set up a Historical Reading Challenge for myself. Stranding myself in the tenth century (not wanting to go too far back) and tying my ability to move forward to the time setting of the books I'd have to find for the challenge, I made it all the way to the twelfth century before I found myself stuck.

The last novel I read for this challenge was Michael Cadnum's Book of the Lion, which took me all the way to Outremer--a move through space as well as time. So I needed the second and third books in his Crusader Trilogy to get me back to England.

Heck, two years later, I still need those second and third books. I've asked a couple of local bookstores to order copies for me, but they've always seemed to forget.

And that is the reason I haven't read Adam of the Road yet.

Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery

There isn't always a crazy story behind my reading . . . but there always seems to be some sort of reading challenge. And it's always a challenge that takes longer to complete than one would imagine.

I bought this second book in Lucy Maud Montgomery's series on Anne Shirley because I hope to read all of her Anne books someday, the way I've read all of Louisa May Alcott's "Jo" books and all of Susan Coolidge's Katy books.

So far, here are my stats:

Alcott -- 4/4
Coolidge -- 3/3
Montgomery -- 1/8

At the rate I'm going--and I'm not trying to disparage myself here--I'm going to be reading Montgomery well into my old age!

Animorphs #1: The Invasion by K.A. Applegate

Well, why not? If I can read and review the Baby-Sitters Club books twenty years after they were first "relevant," then I can do the same for the Animorphs series. It was always more my style, anyway.

By now you may have noticed that I have a thing for reading books in some sort of chronological order. While I was still squarely part of the Animorphs target demographic, I couldn't find any copies of the first book in the series . . . and there was no way I was going to start with anything else.

Over a decade and several used bookstores later . . . I feel lucky to have finally scored this copy.

I also have a real passion for First Books. (I think it's psychological, having something to do with my being the eldest child.) Next week, as soon as I get done with my Madeleine L'Engle Novel Smackdown, I'm going to start work on a First Books Smackdown.

Image Sources: a) Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Jane Gray, b) Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery, c) Animorphs #1: The Invasion by K.A. Applegate

2 comments:

Holly said...

Thanks for participating! I didn't know until I started collecting them that were so many Anne books by L M Montgomery. At least you've read one which means you're ahead of me!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I knew that there were quite a few, but I had to look up the number myself and was surprised there were so many. She has other series as well. What I really wish I could find are her Emily books!