16 March 2010

+JMJ+

A Horror Meme?!?!

If you've been reading this blog for some time, then you know that what I really, really want to be is a Horror blogger.

Last week, I was startled to see that "Book blogger" status had sneaked up on me . . . but I had to admit it made sense. The average Book blog has almost as many memes as it has reviews, and I had just participated in several local link ups.

If the Horror blogosphere had any memes, I'd be a Horror blogger by now. But I think that if an innocent meme wandered into a respectable Horror blog, it would be threatened with a chainsaw, cornered in a dark house, and dismembered in a fountain of gore.

You know what? Let me do that again--with pictures.

If an innocent meme wandered into a respectable Horror blog, it would be . . .


. . . threatened with a chainsaw . . .


. . . cornered a dark house . . .


. . . and dismembered in a fountain of gore!

Which explains why the one Horror-themed meme I managed to find wasn't on a Horror blog and doesn't seem to have gone viral . . .

Here are just a few horror-related questions and answers for those of you who might enjoy a little creepiness from time-to-time.

And now, in memory of Corey Haim, let the rest of this week be one more stab at Horror blogger status--even if it does involve a meme.


1. What’s the best scene (a.k.a. scene that scared the crap out of you) in a horror movie?

From A Nightmare on Elm Street: Tina's second dream, when Freddy reveals himself to her--a scene I won't spoil for you if you haven't seen it yet.


I have dreamed that your arms are lovely . . . Rogers and Hammerstein had no idea!

2. Who hangs out in the scary dark corners of your basement (Nobody, I know, but if someone did)?

Did you think I would say Freddy Kreuger? It's actually Jason Voorhees! He makes a Scream Queen out of me.

3.Who writes/wrote the best ghost stories?

Henry James kept me awake all night, the first time I read The Turn of the Screw.

The second time I read it, I took it as a Psychological Thriller of sorts and wasn't so scared. A pity.

4. What was the last book you read that made you want to check all the locks on your doors?

I'm not much of a Horror reader. It takes me months to recover from a Stephen King novel.

His Needful Things didn't make me want to check all the locks, but it did make me terrified of everything in the house that I had bought for myself.

5. Have you ever been spooked while listening to music?

Of course! I'm really easy. I still don't want to listen to the "Ave Satani" chorus in Jerry Goldsmith's score for The Omen, and all Metal music, without an exception, makes me feel that demons are about to attack.

6.If you had to be the victim of a mythical monster, who would it be?

I totally see myself being sent as a sacrifice to the Minotaur and having to run for my life in the labyrinth.

(Hey, this question is about Greek myths, right? =P)

7. Were you afraid of the dark as a child?

No! I was never afraid of the dark as a child, and would wander through the house at night without turning on any lights. I didn't start to get scared until I was much older . . . Is this significant, Dr. Freud?

8. What do you most like in a good horror story?

A moral element.

Okay! I don't expect any of my Horror blogger friends to pick this up, but let me now put a Ringu style curse on anyone who reads this . . .

You are tagged if . . . you understand why Jaws, The Terminator, and Final Destination could be counted as Slashers, even if they really aren't.

Image Sources: a) Texas Chainsaw Massacre screencap, b) Halloween screencap, c) A Nightmare on Elm Street screencap

10 comments:

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

How funny! You could do a lot of fun things within the "horror blogger" genre, if only because there ar so many raging stereotypes and cliches.

Sometimes I struggle with making "book blogging" fun while still leaving room to talk about serious things. I generally just make fun of philosophers or something, but I'm afraid some of my jokes don't translate well on the web. :)

pennyyak said...

I found this interesting (and easy to do), and memed(?) it on my one size fits all blog. If you present something interesting (but difficult to write about), I'm out -- lazy me.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Lindsay: Yes, Horror blogging has many aspects. =) And I'm a huge lover of all things generic. I really should have a weekly Horror Day or monthly Horror Week or something. =P

And I think your blog hits the right balance between what's fun and what's serious. =)

Pennyyak: I was actually just planning a Horror meme of my own! I don't think it will be too difficult. You're in, right? ;)

Simcha said...

I have to admit that I really don't do horror. I'm still occasionally haunted by my reading of The Doll House Murderers, when I was 12 and Neal Gaimen's graphic novel Coraline was even too scary for me. And every time I see a pie I'm confronted of unpleasant images from Stephen King's Thinner. *shudder*

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Thanks for commenting, anyway, Simcha! =)

My own Stephen King references are so few because it takes me so long to get over one of his novels. It sounds funny to me now, but for weeks after reading Needful Things, I was afraid to go shopping! The story is about a store owner who offers you what you desire most in the world, at an incredibly cheap price . . . because what he really wants you to trade to him is your soul! Bwahahahahahaha! Anyway, you can be sure I steered especially clear of all sales and bargain tables for a while. ;)

Suburbanbanshee said...

In honor of the cause for sainthood of Henriette de Lille, you need to post on why Gigi is a musical of psychological horror.

I mean, I know it ends happily. But before that, pretty much everybody is out to debauch the heroine (and hero) and leave her (and him) a soulless vampire of split personality!

My mother got me up in the middle of the night to watch it, in my preteen years, and I don't think I've ever gotten over how scary it is. Scarier because it's so cheery. Brrrr.

twowaysofrenouncingthedevil said...

My husband commented on the entry as I read it to him. We're sitting talking ten minutes later, and he can't stand it anymore. Jason has to be outside, he tells me. Then he went into The Turn of the Screw for awhile, I've never read the whole thing, and he was just dying for me to ask him how it ends. Complete with him talking about how amazing the last paragraph was. It's killing him. We thought the tutor/governess thing was interesting.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Banshee: Dare I say I actually like Gigi? =P

Perhaps someday we will have Gigi the Zombie Slayer (in the same vein as Pride and Prejudice with Zombies and can both be happy!

Marie: You know what's funny about Jason? The place I'm most afraid of being cornered by him is the "vestibule" (I'm not sure what to call it) between the gate and the front door. (My family lives in a condominium, and for some reason has both a front door and a gate right in front of it. Perhaps the administration wants the extra dues they can get if they charge us for part of the hallway?) Oh, great . . . Where was I?

As I was saying, those few square metres betwen my front door and the gate are where I get my crazy, claustrophobic Jason thoughts. Is that "outside" enough for your husband? ;)

That reminds me: I've planning to do a Top 5 Governess Stories post. The Turn of the Screw is going to be the token Psychological/Horror entry.

Suburbanbanshee said...

Well, I can certainly see why people like it, and as I said, the ending is happy and the young protagonists are sweet. There's a good deal that's likeable in the older folks, too; but that's just what makes their "better judgment" so creepy to me.

Of course, it's possible that I take this stuff way too seriously... I was appalled that the supposedly heroic heroine of the new steampunk romance novel was supposed to be a member of the Black Hand. I mean, that wasn't just any rebellious political group; they were terrorists, and they started WWI. I just couldn't find it funny or cute, no matter how I looked at it; and I couldn't see how anybody competent or good would want to work for them, either, no matter how alternate the world.

Of course, there'd been a lot of annoying stupidity up to that point in the novel, and an extremely slow opening, so that was just the last straw on the zeppelin's back.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Of course, it's possible that I take this stuff way too seriously...

While you are talking to the Queen of Taking Frivolous Stuff Too Seriously, I'm still not sure what this discussion is doing here! =P