02 March 2010

+JMJ+

Etsy Dreams

Something I'll bet even my biggest stalkers readers don't know about me is that I have a grandmother who crochets beautiful things. If I were as a good with words and blogging as she is with thread and a crochet hook, then Shredded Cheddar would be literature.

I'd love to sell her stuff for her on Etsy (and not just because, you know, I'd get a cut). It would be really great if other people could appreciate her talent, too.

Now if I could only figure out how to direct a proper product shoot . . .


The yellow ones are some of my favourites.
They're always so cheerful!


Yellow and blue are also nice.
The coasters above can be packaged as one set or as two.


As you can see in the above picture,
there are other ways to combine two colours.


And there are other ways
to make a simple design more colourful.


She has some plain white ones, too
. . . but they're still pretty!


She used to crochet a lot in anticipation of Christmas bazaars.
Above are a half dozen that didn't get sold the year they were made.


No cracks about pastels, please.
(They actually go really well with that cup.)


She also does pouches.
As you can see, these ones are big,
but she also made my friends great little handphone pouches.

There are many more where those came from! My grandmother crochets for the love of the craft.

So now you may be wondering why I don't just go ahead and open an Etsy shop for her.

Three words: international shipping rates.

And how frustrating are those, aye?

(Thanks to Ninjapeps for coming over to our place, taking all the pictures, and asking for nothing in return but brownies!)

13 comments:

christopher said...

Those yellow ones remind me of my grandmother's potato pancakes...mmm...

And it's only because I'm married that I know what Etsy is.

Ninjapeps is quite a photographer; I think I've complimented her skill before!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Um . . . he will be very happy to read that. ;)

pennyyak said...

Having practiced (and practiced) crochet for many years (ago now), I know it's like trying to pluck your own eyebrows evenly (but even harder) getting projects square, symmetrical, etc. in crochet. She's a master. Excellent use of color.

christopher said...

Yoops, had no idea, that's what I get for assuming. Sorry ninjapeps.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Pennyyak: Yes, my grandmother is the Michaelangelo of crochet!

Christopher: Never you mind! He'll get over it . . . =P

Maureen said...

Well... the sad thing is, international shipping rates wouldn't be all that bad, in bulk. I mean, you could probably ship a lot of doilies under a pound. So the real problem is that nobody on Etsy is going to order 100 assorted doilies all at once. :)

If you had friends/relatives in the States (or another large market) who wanted to act as Etsy agents, and your grandma shipped them a whole bunch of doilies ahead of time, that might work. But the initial money/labor outlay and the trust outlay might both be high.

Maureen, who knows nothing about business for herself, but talks a good game for other people. I should be a business consultant!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Maureen: Hey, that's good advice! We do have relatives in the States, but I'm not sure whether anyone will be willing to do this. I'll ask around.

ninjapeps said...

@christopher: thanks for the compliment, though I only consider myself a photographer in the most literal sense of "guy with a camera". and, yes, I'm a guy. :p

Crissa, did you forget your hat in my car? there's a purple hat sitting on top of our printer that looks suspiciously like yours.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Yes, that's my hat! =) I think she stowed away in your car so that she could be photographed, too.

Lola said...

She does lovely work.

Something about cheerful yellow.

I'd love to have some for coasters. Not for wine goblets, but for my morning tea on my end-table when I'm reading.

Paul Stilwell said...

Wow. The way she's got the white spots into the yellow of the ones in the first photo, very skillful.

I'll take the plain white ones - for my rum and coke.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Lola: And I'd love to send you some--as a gift!--but I really can't afford to. =(

Thanks for complimenting them. I tell my grandmother what people say about her work and it makes her happy.

Paul: It won't be so impressive when I reveal that the yellow thread was already dyed different shades of yellow when she bought a spool! ;)

Paul Stilwell said...

They're still impressive.