23 February 2010

+JMJ+

Tutor Tales, Volume 14


If Doctor Nemesis and Doctor Decimator were ever in a movie . . .

As for their tutor, she is neither Jedi nor Sith;
and George Lucas doesn't understand Werepunk.

Doctor Decimator is so often in his older brother's shadow, even in these Tutor Tales, so I thought I'd give him a little post of his own . . .


Not a week goes by in which Doctor Decimator doesn't "forget" something. There was a time he strategically "forgot" his ruler, thinking I would then let him do a certain Geometry assignment at home. What I did was borrow another student's ruler and make him use it.

Sure enough, the very next session, he cunningly forgot his protractor. It is not so easy to find someone with a spare protractor, you know.

Now, I wasn't about to invest in Maths equipment just to show him I wouldn't be tripped up, but I did like surprising him with one secret weapon from my existing arsenal. About three weeks ago, when he told me that he couldn't do his English homework because he hadn't brought his copy of the assigned novel, I didn't even try to keep a straight face as I laid my own copy of the novel on the table between us and told him he could nix the excuses.

"But I don't have to read any of it until Monday!" he squealed, a look of horror on his little face.

"That's true . . . but I told you two days ago that we'd be starting your reading today, and you had no objections then."

To his credit, the boy knew that he was beaten and could be gracious about it. He picked up the book, leaned back in his chair, read the entire first chapter, and completed his homework before he went home.

Yes, he's learning.

Image Sources: Darth Sidious and Darth Vader

13 comments:

Noxxtis said...

Didn't he forget his Social Studies book today?

Sincerely,
Your Quasi-tutee |||OTL

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

He either forgot to forget it, or forgot that he hadn't forgotten it! (Oh, wait. Is that the same thing?)

I found his entire Social Science envelope when I went through his school bag. I also read his Homework Diary and found an English assignment he "forgot" to tell me about.

You should see his "Ooops!" expression. It's priceless!

Noxxtis said...

LOOOOL! That Dr. Decimator. He's not as crazy as Nemesis but he tries.
Maybe you could threaten him with his mom next time!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

The effectiveness of the mommy threat decreases incrementally every time it is used . . . and unfortunately, I've used it a lot. =(

In related news, I just got some angry messages from Lug Wrench's mother. She took over tutoring duty tonight and apparently her boy doesn't know anything! This is the second time this has happened, despite my best efforts with him. I'm starting to think Lug Wrench throws me under the bus when he can't remember what he's supposed to know.

Noxxtis said...

Ah yes, blame the teacher!

Maybe you could threaten Lug Wrench with God or something. Or tell him what St. Michael did to Satan at the beginning of time. He loves saint stories, doesn't he? I told my mom about Lug Wrench and she thinks he's adorable. (Especially with the fact that he's a fat Persian kid who loves gory saint stories.)

As for Decimator, maybe threatening him with his grandfather would work. Maybe.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

In fairness, Lug Wrench isn't really fat, which is to say that he's not round. He is, however, tightly packed and therefore massive. I think if he fell on me and pinned me to the ground, I'd suffocate under him! LOL

Another pointless and frustrating game is Blame the Parent. I try not to play it, but some parents make it so tempting!

By the way, did you read the post I was telling you about earlier? ;)

Noxxtis said...

LOL, yes I did! I didn't know Shea was Catholic for THAT long. But still, quality trumps quantity. You're more likely to know more Catholic stuff that him because you were born into it. It's like the old debate of "Are writers born or made?" That one's actually debatable. This is not. Catholics are born and raised into it, not made. (Not to say that converts aren't Catholic.) And he is acting rude and stuff. Maybe he does Google his name on a daily basis. Must use the "Find" tool on Chrome too.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I can't believe you mentioned his name! LOL My trolls had better not go after you for that.

Noxxtis said...

|||OTL Well, if the trolls do go after me at least I'll get blog comments! (Any publicity is good publicity! XD)

FrB said...

Catholics are born and raised into it, not made.

I'm sure that St Paul would be astonished to learn that.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Semantics, of course.

Noxxtis said...

I'll bet Shea uses that as one of his excuses!

(This is exactly why I got a 75 in CL class when I was a Sophomore, er...200 years ago :'D)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Now let me save you from yourself, Young Vampire. Go to bed now and we'll talk about St. Paul (Hahahahahahaha!) tomorrow.