04 December 2012

+JMJ+

Dear Father Christmas, I've Been Good

This Week's Theme:
Books You Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing You


First of all, yes, this post kind of fits the Top Secret December Theme! But don't look too hard for clues or anything.

I remember the first Christmas I no longer believed in Santa but still pretended I did so that I could get extra presents. My family should have known something was up when instead of asking for toys, I asked for cassette copies of Beatles albums. (Yes, Enbrethiliel, Santa has a recording studio . . .)

It is the memory of that Christmas that has inspired the twist I've put on my latest Top Ten Tuesday contribution. Although the bulk of my reading has been made up of "children's books" for years, I thought it would be a more interesting challenge to pack this list with "adult" books.


A Tenner:
Books for My Oversized Stocking

Bit of a Blur by Alex James
Because he was always more than just a pretty bass (Ha!); he was thoughtful, too!

Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th by Peter M. Bracke
Because every good movie is about its own making--even the "bad" ones. =P

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Because I've always thought--for some reason--that Palahniuk was the next logical step from Irvine Welsh.

The Green and Burning Tree: On the Writing and Enjoyment of Children's Literature by Eleanor Cameron
Because anyone who gets the ugliness in Roald Dahl's writing would make a good mentor to someone who longs to write for children.

I Know This Much: From Soho to Spandau by Gary Kemp
Because I still need to recover from Andy Taylor's awful memoir and if this won't do the trick, then nothing will.

The Interior Castle by St. Teresa d'Avila
Because it has been too long since I read a really hefty Catholic classic.

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Because it has started to bother me that I've never read the man who may just be the best SF author of my own time.

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
Because a list of books never really feels right unless there's a classic novel among them.

Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien
Because the only thing that beats a boy-and-his-dog story is a woman-and-her-owl tale. 

Unsaid Things: Our Story by McFly
Because I love those four boys . . . even if they aren't boys any longer.

Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled Advent of penitence and purple. =)

To anyone who has arrived here from The Broke and the Bookish: Welcome! I appreciate your stopping by, but I am so busy these days that I wasn't even able to get this post up on time and I won't be clicking on other participants in the linky until this weekend. But if you leave a comment, I promise to return the visit as soon as possible.

Image Sources: a) Bit of a Blur: The Autobiography by Alex James, b) Unsaid Things: Our Story by McFly

5 comments:

Shaz said...

Have you read John Taylor's book, In the Pleasure Groove? And I vote Jurassic Park be the next book club choice. :-)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

No, I haven't read In the Pleasure Groove yet. In fact, until you mentioned it, I hadn't known that it had come out! =P What do you think of it?

Not to frustrate you or anything, but Jurassic Park nearly went head to head with Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas for the November Book Club novel. But then I decided not to do a readalong but to try writing FF instead . . . and that's one more excuse to add to the thousands for why I haven't read Michael Crichton yet!

Shaz said...

Haven't read In the Pleasure Groove yet for the same reason you haven't read Jurassic Park - too many books, too little time!

christopher said...

Wow, even I'VE read Jurassic Park. ME!!! :) #kkkkkkk

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm starting to wonder whether Po-on was the only novel that ever let us meet in the middle. LOL!

Oh, wait. There was also Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

So what did you think of Jurassic Park--and of Michael Crichton in general?